Grand Teton Barn
Located in Grand Teton National Park, The historic TA Moulton barn is over 100 years old.
Started out of necessity to shelter his horses against the harsh winters of the Tetons and Jackson Hole, Thomas Alma Moulton didn’t know he was building a future landmark to a nation and mecca for photographers to come to. He and his two sons, Clark and Harley worked the land to provide for their families. They worked together along with their neighbors to carve out a meager existance along what was known as Mormon Row. Started in 1913, it took many years for the Grand Teton barn to be in its current form. First built as a square box, later on the peak and one lean to side was added. Later, when more room was needed, the other lean to side was added. This was a functional working barn. It was never intended to be the most photographed barn in America.
Two brothers, Thomas, John filed on their 160 acre homesteads in of 1907. A third brother, Wallace filed a year later. They had learned of the rich soil from other Mormon homesteaders who had filed before them. He first built a small cabin to live in during the summer while working the land and building on his barn. In 1912 Alma and Lucile and baby Clark, moved from Idaho to the homestead into a cabin with a dirt floor and not much more.
Up until 1961, the family worked the ranch to support the themselves and help the community survive.